2016 Conference and Doctoral Stream on Qualitative Research in Governance & AccountabilityWednesday 21 - Wednesday 21 December 2016 Sheffield University Management School, Sheffield
Time: 09.30-18.00 followed by a drinks and canapés reception
This one day conference brings together academic researchers from around the world who are involved in qualitative research into governance and accountability. There is a longstanding tradition of quantitative research into corporate governance which has elucidated important relationships between governance mechanisms and highlighted relevant variables and dependencies. However, in recent years, there has been an increasing focus on qualitative research into governance and accountability, which is contributing to our understanding of the complexity of corporate governance. Rich qualitative data can help us appreciate the depth of governance relationships and more interpretive methodological approaches offer valuable insights into the ‘black box’ of governance.
Call for Abstracts
We are calling for abstracts, where the researchers are employing qualitative research methods (interviews, case studies, interpretive content analysis, questionnaires, for example) on topics including but not restricted to:
- governance mechanisms including boards, board committees, NEDs
- governance in the public, not-for-profit and charity sectors
- accountability mechanisms including audit, internal audit, stakeholder engagement, shareholder dialogue processes
- governance and accountability issues in emerging and developing economies
- social and environmental accounting, integrated reporting and governance
- codes of practice and their effectiveness and development
- critical perspectives on governance and accountability
- NGO governance and accountability
Papers presented at this conference will be considered for publication in a special issue of the journal Qualitative Research in Financial Markets. The conference will include invited guest speaker Dr Chris Pierce, CEO of Global Governance Services Ltd, and a research methods session for doctoral researchers as well as a doctoral stream with faculty facilitating.
Please send your abstracts to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31 August 2016
Delegate: £100; PhD students: £30. Includes meals and refreshments.
Tickets to BAFA conferences are only available to current members.
To purchase a ticket, log in to your account on the BAFA Membership Portal and click the 'Purchase Tickets' button. Select the appropriate ticket for the conference you want to attend, and follow instructions. Further information on how to register for BAFA events can be found on our Conference FAQs page.