Accounting History - Special Interests Group
The BAFA Accounting History SIG was formed in April 2018.
The main purposes of the AH SIG are to further the objects of BAFA by:
- encouraging research and scholarship in accounting history research;
- establishing and supporting a network of researchers and teachers in accounting history research;
- enhancing the teaching of accounting history;
- supporting the development of emerging scholars in accounting history;
- providing support for doctoral students in accounting history;
- providing a forum for interaction of ideas among accounting academics interested in accounting history;
- encouraging the integration of historical scholarship into all aspects of the activities of BAFA and of BAFA members;
- developing close links with the accounting profession so as to inform policy;
- developing close links with similar groups elsewhere so as to foster and promote an international community of accounting historians;
- publishing a newsletter and organising (and sponsoring) targeted workshops and conferences; and,
- developing and maintaining relationships with the British Accounting and Finance Association and related professional bodies.
Our research interests include:
- medieval accounting
- accounting in times of stress, such as during war-time or when there is a natural disaster
- breweries and brewery accounting before the Second World War
- the role of the Royal Navy and Naval accounting in the development of accounting in the UK
- accounting history and religion
Annual Workshop/Conference: A workshop is planned for 14 December 2018 at Aston University, Birmingham.