The Accounting Education SIG was established in 1991 and currently has a membership of approximately 160 members.
The purpose of the Special Interest Group is to further the objectives of the British Accounting and Finance Association (BAFA) by pursuing the following objectives:
- encouraging and supporting research and scholarship in accounting education;
- supporting a network of researchers and teachers in accounting education;
- encouraging adoption of approaches to teaching and learning of accounting that are perceived to enhance the teaching of accounting;
- providing support for doctoral students in accounting education;
- developing and maintaining close links with accounting educators within the UK and Ireland and further afield, both individually and through equivalent organisations in other countries including the USA, Australia, and South Africa;
- communicating to support engagement activities with stakeholders;
- developing and maintaining close links with the accounting profession so as to (i) inform their policies on accounting education and, (ii) be informed of any changes to those policies that are relevant to accounting educators;
- organising conferences and workshops relevant to accounting educators;
- providing a forum for the interaction of ideas among accounting educators; and,
- maintaining relationships with the British Accounting and Finance Association (BAFA), its sub-groups, and other equivalent bodies.
One of our main events is the organisation of an annual three-day Annual Conference which is held at various locations in the UK and more recently Europe. The conference has been, and continues to be, sponsored by a number of professional accountancy bodies. It attracts a unique mix of stakeholders, including academics, practitioners and representatives from the professional accountancy bodies right across the globe, including the UK, Europe, the US, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. The conference aims to provide a forum to facilitate the exchange of research ideas and pedagogic experiences in addition to enabling the dissemination of current research and professional practice.